July 4, 2011

Wait.. One Search for Chloroform Not 84! (Jury Deliberating for 3 Hours)

I know I mentioned this in my discussion of Jose Baez's closing, but I don't think it really hit me. An enormous part of the State's case for premeditation had to do with those 84 searches for chloroform. In his closing, Jose Baez said it was only ONE search. It didn't hit me until today that the State does not allow him to present this evidence in his closing unless they have acknowledged and conceded the point. Otherwise it would be "assuming facts not in evidence"!

The reason the computer expert had said 84 searches had to do with keystrokes and/or visits to other websites (like My Space) during that same computer session. I have a feeling that if Mom hadn't perjured herself on this point, additional investigation might not have uncovered this. (Thanks Mom, Casey must be thinking.)

I have to say, I think this affects the State's credibility a LOT. I wondered WHY Prosecutor Jeff Ashton wasn't talking about chloroform in his closing. Is this not a BIG deal, hammering something home to the jury over and over, and turns out it's wrong! I've seen these things come out after a verdict in a case for wrongful conviction, but right before closing arguments..?? Think of ALL the time spent in court on chloroform..

I think this can tip the case away from premeditated murder. Of course, a 2nd Degree Murder charge can mean a Life sentence, but WITH parole. Casey could get out in 20 years and be 45, still have a life! I am kind of disappointed in the State here. They should have had independent experts evaluate evidence that directly leads to a First Degree Murder conviction, AND the "ultimate sanction." Shame on you, Florida!

I've

No comments:

Post a Comment